Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back from Scout Camp and the Crib Drama

Well I figured Ryan would come back from scout camp/high adventure tired and dirty but I didn't except him to have bruises and swollen ankle. The bruise on his thigh and half way down his calf is from his canoe tipping over (as he was trying to help another canoe "de-swamp" their canoe) and is shown below. I don't think I've ever seen such a big, nasty bruise. Then the swollen ankle is from playing kick ball with a football because the other ball popped. Only boys think they should play kick ball with a football. It was a crazy week filled with boys getting in trouble for carving/doodling on a hand-made wooden table and for playing game boy when they were supposed to be at activities but also the good times of "king of the dock" and seeing who can repel down the cliff the fastest. I asked Ryan if he kept in mind the fact that we don't have sufficient disability insurance as he was doing all of this and he assured me "it was good". :) The scouts love Ryan and the fact that he joins in all of the games.

Regardless, Nyah and I are glad to have him back home. Saturday night was date night so Ryan and I went to see "Hancock" and went to dinner at Macaroni Grill. It had been a while since we had a date night so that was fun.

Then there was Sunday. Church was the normal battle with Nyah giving in for about a 1/2 hour toward the end. Then when we got home she was just rested enough that she didn't really think she needed a nap. Well I put her in her crib anyway because she'll usually decide she is tired after all and go to sleep. She was just playing in there and I didn't really worry about it, but should have. When I finally gave in and went to get her up, she had chewed the top edge of her crib along the front and one side. There were little sets of teeth marks up and down our "new" crib. It's funny because when we got the first crib home, there was actually a small imperfection along the top of the crib and we went to the trouble to package it back up and take it back to the store to get a new one. Good thing we worried about that! :) I couldn't believe all the teeth marks. So then I decided to wrap the top rail in towels and safety-pinned it on the outside. Boy was I grumpy! Well I've since decided she has it fully "broken-in" and we will have stories to tell her some day. :)

Now when I say, "Mommy loves..", she says "Nyah". It's enough to melt my heart. :) Another cute thing is when we are downstairs hanging out and watching TV she will decide she wants to cover us up with a blanket. If we are on our side it isn't good enough, she pulls on us until we get the point that she wants us on our stomachs. Cutie girl. She is also answering questions with a full "yes" these days. It's cute to hear her pronounce the "s" instead of just "yeah".

Well that's about it for now. We hope all is going well for all of you!

3 comments:

Shari Baker said...

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said that the bruise goes almost all the way down his leg. Crazy! I can't imagine how bad that must hurt. I just got done with the gym and I'm a pansy...just like the boys at camp. I can't believe how smart Nyah is. I'm pretty sure she's smarter than your average 16 month old. With parents like you I'm not surprised. I see where you're coming from with the bite marks. I think I would be even grumpier than you. You're a good mom. Hope you week continues to go well. Love you!

Roberts Family said...

Holy Cow! My Easton did that exact same thing to his new crib!! (well it was new then, now it is on #3!) Anyway, I was sick about it too. All that money on his cute crib just chewed away... Oh well. What do you do?? Dang kids. hehehe Crystal PS tell Ryan to not be a sissy. hahaha

Shanda said...

Oh my word she is so advanced! I can't believe she can say yes! I remember when Solomon first did that it was so exciting! I encouraged him so much he started adding an s to everything and soon it was mamas, dadas, etc... She is so cute! And holy nasty bruises!!!!